Publish A Book With SPE
We publish many types of books written by and for our members. Prior to making a publishing commitment, a committee of industry experts assesses author qualifications, timeliness of the technical subject matter, and the potential market for each considered title.
Submit a book proposal
- Complete book proposal form
- Provide a detailed outline of your proposed book and what type of book you will be writing. If there will be more than one author, indicate which author will cover specific chapters and sections
- Develop a proposed schedule for writing and submitting the final book copy to us within 2 years
- Include a resume for all authors and a sample of your writing in English, such as one or two chapters of the proposed book. Alternate writing samples include a set of notes, a manual or other work that illustrates your writing style.
Once you have finished writing your book, it must be submitted for technical peer review (which takes 90 days to complete) and possible revision of the manuscript.
You must also send:
- The manuscript by CD, email or upload to our FTP site
- Detailed citation information for the source of all all tables, figures and photos in your manuscript. Indicate which are original and which came from another document.
Email Jennifer Wegman, Managing
Editor-Books, or call +1.972.952.9339
After your proposal has been approved, there are still a few
steps before your book is published and they can take
6 to 8 months to complete.
- During the production phase, manuscripts will be edited for grammar and
- After editing the manuscript, SPE will send you galley proofs of each
chapter for correction. Make only the requested editorial corrections; no
significant additions of text, figures, or tables can be added to or deleted
from the manuscript that was approved by the Books Development Committee.
- After your corrections are incorporated, the manuscript is reviewed by SPE
proofreaders; you may need to answer some follow-up queries at that time.
- Proofread manuscripts next are sent to a typesetter, providing you an idea of how the
book will look when published. Once typesetting is complete, you will receive a set of page proofs for
review. This is your final opportunity to make corrections, and, at this stage,
only significant errors can be corrected.
- You must review and return galley proofs and page proofs as quickly as
possible to ensure the timely publication of your book. There is a 3- to
4-month interval from the time you return the page-proof corrections until the
book is published.
We promote your book
Running ads in JPT and our relevant journals
Spotlighting your book on the homepage of the SPE Bookstore, the Publications page and in targeted emails to our members.