Student Authors Rise to Top in International Paper Contest
Regional winners of the SPE Student Paper Contest at the undergraduate, master’s, and doctorate level advanced to compete at the international level all day at the 2013 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in New Orleans. Eight undergraduate, seven master’s, and nine doctoral students competed to win first place in their respective divisions. Students had 25 minutes to present their research projects and answer questions from the judges. Following is a list of the winners.
- Suyang Zhu, Southwest Petroleum University (Asia Pacific Region)
- Lukas Mosser, Montan University of Leoben (Europe Region)
- Brandon Hilts, The University of Texas at Austin (Gulf Coast North America Region)
- Shaina Kelly, The University of Texas at Austin (Gulf Coast North America Region)
- Hamza Aljamaan, Stanford University (Western North America Region)
- Omokayode Omotunde, Heriot-Watt University (Middle East Region)
- Obiajulu Isebor, Stanford University (Western North America Region)
- Shu Luo, University of Tulsa (Rocky Mountain/Mid Continent/Eastern North America Region)
- Mohammed Al Hamdan, University of New South Wales (Asia Pacific Region)
Colorado School of Mines Wins PetroBowl Competition
Colorado School of Mines successfully defended its PetroBowl championship, beating out The University of Texas at Austin in the final contest at the 2013 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition.
The competition matches SPE student chapter teams against each other in a fast-paced quiz competition. Competing teams are challenged to answer both technical and nontechnical questions associated with the oil and gas industry.
The final four teams represented Colorado School of Mines, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Texas A&M University, and The University of Texas at Austin.
Members of the first-place Colorado team were Stewart Barber, Erich Kerr, Darkhan Maulimgazy, Murat Suzdykov, and Douglas Wilson.