Intelligent Well Technology
This course presents the basic knowledge and fundamentals of intelligent well completions needed to identify, plan, and execute smart-well and smart-field projects. Participants will gain an understanding of the petroleum engineering considerations for intelligent well applications such as project screening, well performance modeling and reservoir simulation. They will also learn about the equipment, functionality, completion design and execution needed to successfully implement the project.
- Elements of an intelligent well, applications, and business drivers
- Basic screening questions and defining completion requirements
- Simulation tools and evaluating improved productivity and recovery
- Using intelligent wells to address reservoir and production uncertainty
- Inflow, outflow, and Nodal analysis
- Flow control valves for linear control
At the end of this course, participants should have a thorough understanding of:
- Artificial lift and intelligent wells
- Flow valves, actuation systems, downhole sensors
- Control systems, communication and power, ancillary support equipment
- Data collection, validation, storage
- Analysis and decision-making processes, control, optimization
- An operating philosophy for intelligent wells
1 or 2 Days
If your field development plans include smart well technology, or if you’re wondering if they should, this course is for you.
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for reservoir, production, drilling and completion engineers, managers and other personnel who are interested in learning about intelligent well technology and its potential applications.
Attendees must bring a laptop to class.
0.8 or 1.6 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be awarded for this 2-day course.
To receive a full refund, all cancellations must be received in writing no later than 14 days prior to the course start date. Cancellations made after the 14-day window will not be refunded. Send cancellation requests by email to email@example.com; by fax to +1.866.460.3032 (US) or +1.972.852.9292 (outside US); or mail to SPE Registration, PO Box 833836, Richardson, TX 75083.
Michael Konopczynski is the director of technology at WellDynamics, where he provides petroleum engineering support for the application of SmartWell technology. Before joining WellDynamics in 2001, he spent nearly 20 years with Shell Canada, serving in a variety of production engineering and technology roles including steam-assisted thermal recovery, CO2 enhanced recovery, deep sour gas development, and gas-condensate developments in Canada, the United States, and the Sultanate of Oman.