Types of information we may gather
SPE collects information such as your address, telephone number(s), and other contact, demographic, and billing information only by voluntary disclosure directly from you. The SPE database contains information on members and nonmembers, including authors, exhibitors, advertisers, service providers, for the purpose of conducting official SPE business.
Examples of ways we collect your information
The Membership Application Form requires individuals to provide contact information such as address(es), phone number(s), and email address(es). This together with demographic information (i.e., job title, education, and business focus), SPE uses the information to provide member services, such as the Journal of Petroleum Technology, as well as catalogs and promotions of publications, meetings, and other products and information of interest to you.
Information can be collected on an order form, an event registration form, or in another manner when information is requested or products and services purchased from SPE. SPE collects contact information (address, phone number, etc.), payment information (an account or credit card number) and other information. This information is used to fulfill orders and to contact the customer as necessary.
SPE.org automatically records the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer accessing the site as well as the time and date of access. This information does not identify you personally, nor does it contain your name or email address. SPE uses this information solely for the purpose of diagnosing problems with the SPE server and to administer the website, or for some corporate subscribers, to determine access rights.
SPE uses internet cookies to deliver content that is specific to your interests and to keep track of your preferences. When your browser accesses the site, SPE's server checks your browser settings to see if it is permissible to store this identification information on your computer. The cookies set by SPE do not personally identify you; they simply permit SPE's web site to know what your preferences are. Cookies are also used to help determine how many unique users access pages on the web site and may direct specific advertising content to you on selected pages.
How we use your information
The information SPE collects is intended to allow SPE to communicate with you, process your transaction effectively and efficiently and plan future programs and services to better serve you. SPE collects electronic information solely for the purpose of diagnosing problems with the SPE server and to administer the website, or for some corporate subscribers, to determine access rights.
Members and customers may elect to have SPE not use their email address for SPE communications; however, an email address is required for the completion of certain transactions. Even when SPE members request that SPE restrict use of their personal information, SPE may still use this information to contact you in connection with SPE official business.
If you choose to restrict use of your information, you may not receive certain communications from SPE that may be of interest to you. Because of the nature of computer data storage, any information that you restrict will remain stored but will not be accessed in the normal course of business. SPE will comply with any court orders that may be received requiring us to disclose information from our database, regardless of whether you have requested that the information be restricted.
How we disclose your information
SPE allows certain non-staff individuals access to this information in support of SPE business. For example, SPE may provide access to data to an SPE committee, SPE ConnectSM (online communities), or section officers and others for the purpose of conducting SPE business.
SPE operates email list servers and Online Communities to facilitate communication among groups conducting SPE business. These tools are useful in communicating technical and non-technical information. Information in discussion forums or online communities is available to anyone with access to this area. SPE cannot control what others may do with information that you disclose using these tools.
From time to time, SPE will permit companies, who, in SPE's estimation, have something of value to offer to SPE members to rent mailing lists. However, SPE does not make available the email addresses of SPE members or customers for non-SPE business. Members and customers may choose to restrict use or disclosure of their name, address, or telephone number on mailing lists that may be rented to others.
SPE makes information from its membership database available to other members through the online Membership Directory.
- Permission to access and use the information contained in the Membership Directory is restricted to SPE members. Members may not provide their login information to anyone else, authorize others to use information obtained from the Membership Directory, or assign or transfer any Membership Directory information to any individual or organization.
- The SPE Membership Directory is provided as a service to members to permit them to contact other members for noncommercial personal and SPE business (section activities, committee work, etc.). Use of Directory information for recruiting, commercial, political, or promotional (marketing and sales) purposes is strictly prohibited. For information about the availability of mailing labels for such purposes, please contact SPE Customer Service.
- Your right to access the directory and use the information is conditioned on compliance with SPE's policies. SPE reserves the right to limit or terminate your use of this Directory at any time if, at SPE's sole discretion, it believes that you are using Directory information in a manner that is prohibited by these policies.
- SPE does not undertake to verify the accuracy or completeness of the information in the Directory and makes no representation or warranty concerning the accuracy of the information included in the Directory. SPE makes no representation or warranty concerning the inclusion or omission of any individual from this Directory.
SPE collects payment information (such as a credit card number) for the purpose of completing transactions. SPE does not disclose credit card or other financial information to any other individual or organization.
How to access and maintain your information we collect
SPE members or customers may review or modify their information by accessing their profile online or contacting SPE Customer Service. SPE also provides members and customers the opportunity to request that SPE restrict the use of personal information. This request may be made when the information is provided or at a later time by contacting SPE Customer Service.
SPE uses industry-standard measures to protect your submission of credit card information to SPE. SPE uses a secure server and encrypted data transmission using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Technology. SSL Technology encrypts the transmitted information to make it very difficult for anyone other than SPE to decode the information. SPE's implementation of SSL is authenticated by VeriSign.
You can verify that you are in a secure-transmission portion of SPE's website in one of two ways:
- Look for an unbroken key symbol or lock symbol at the bottom status bar of your browser. This shows that you are in a secured mode.
- Look at the URL address in your browser window. When in secured mode, the address changes from http to "https."
SPE.org and Online Communities
When accessing material through SPE.org, you:
- Acknowledge that SPE owns the copyright for or has permission to use all materials displayed on this site. You are authorized to read and use this information for your personal use. You are not authorized to share the materials on SPE.org with others by copying or sending it to them. The materials displayed on SPE.org are protected under U.S. copyright law. You agree that if you choose to use SPE communications tools, including online communities and list servers, you give SPE full and unrestricted permission to use and republish any materials that you post to SPE-owned sites in any way SPE deems fit, without compensation to you.
- Understand that you may not post anything to an SPE list server or online community that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, or offensive. You may not use any SPE communication tool to promote any commercial venture, including mass email solicitations ("spamming") of any nature. You understand that if SPE, at its sole discretion, believes you are abusing the use of these tools in any manner, SPE will delete your postings and may terminate without notice or liability your right to access the site.
- Understand that THE CONTENTS OF SPE.org, ITS ONLINE COMMUNITIES, LIST SERVERS AND SUBSIDIARY SITES AND YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS THESE SITES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." SPE DOES NOT WARRANT OR GUARANTEE THAT ANY FILES THAT YOU DOWNLOAD FROM ITS SITES ARE VIRUS FREE. You are encouraged to use virus-checking software. SPE.org includes links to sites maintained by others. SPE has no responsibility for the contents on linked sites.
Links to SPE.org From SPE Websites
(SPE Sections, Student Chapters and Other SPE Official Units)
- All SPE section, chapter, and other official unit websites should contain a prominent link to the SPE website at http://www.spe.org, preferably from some portion of the home page of the website.
- This link may be made using the official SPE logo, or may be hyperlinked text, such as "Society of Petroleum Engineers" or "Society of Petroleum Engineers website." (Please view SPE Graphics Standards Guide on proper use of the logo.)
Links to SPE.org From Non-SPE Websites
SPE welcomes links from web sites of other industry-related organizations with the following conditions:
Links to www.spe.org
- Links to the SPE home page are acceptable without notification to SPE
- Links to the SPE home page may not be included on the home page of any non-SPE website without written permission from SPE
- No commercially oriented text or graphics may be associated with the link to SPE.org
- Links may not imply any SPE endorsement or sponsorship of the entity providing the link or any of the entity's products or services
- Links must be in a clearly identified "links" area of the non-SPE website (where other organizations' websites are also linked)
- Links may use the SPE logo or be in the form of hypertext saying "Society of Petroleum Engineers"
- Links to SPE.org should open in a new browser window
Links to content on www.spe.org
- Links to publicly available content on the SPE.org website are acceptable without notification to SPE
- Links to any content that requires a login for access are not allowed
- Links to any SPE.org content may not be used to imply SPE endorsement or sponsorship of the entity providing the link or any of the entity's products or services
- Hypertext links to content on SPE.org must clearly identify the content of the link, preferably with identification of SPE or Society of Petroleum Engineers as part of the link text
- Content on the SPE website may not be enclosed in frames; it is preferable that links to SPE content open in a new browser window
- Content on pages within SPE.org and URLs to content on SPE.org may change at any time. Any links to content within SPE.org should be reviewed regularly to assure that the links are still active and point to the intended content
For links to the websites of individual SPE sections or student chapters, please contact the section or chapter to determine whether they require permission for linking.
The following description of SPE and its purpose may be useful to organizations seeking to include a description with a link to SPE. Use of this description is not required for linking to SPE.org
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is a not-for-profit professional association whose members are engaged in energy resources development and production. SPE serves more than 110,000 members in 141 countries worldwide. SPE is a key resource for technical knowledge related to the oil and gas exploration and production industry and provides services through its publications, events, training courses, and online resources at www.spe.org.
Links to Non-SPE Websites From SPE.org
SPE generally does not engage in reciprocal linking (i.e., trading links), and requests for reciprocal linking will be ignored. If you would like to request a link to your site from SPE.org, please review our existing links and provide an explanation of how your site is consistent with the existing links and why it should be added. Links on SPE.org will not include any commercially oriented text or graphics with the exception of sponsors (of SPE events or portions of the SPE website) and paid advertising. (For information about advertising on SPE.org, contact SPE Sales.)
Links to other sites are added at the discretion of SPE, and SPE reserves the right to remove links to any other websites at any time. Objections to any links on SPE.org or any of its subsidiary sites are to be directed to SPE marketing.
- Agree, as a condition of being granted the right to access and use SPE.org and its subsidiary sites that SPE is not liable to you for anything that happens as a result of your use of information from SPE.org or subsidiary sites.
- Acknowledge that materials posted to an online community or list-server are the intellectual property of the author and agree not to reuse any of this information without the express permission of the author or copyright holder.
- Understand that in the event of any conflict between this policy and the Terms of Service, the Terms of Service will control.
Transfer of Information Abroad
SPE operates through various local legal entities. When you provide information through this website, you will be providing it to SPE as a whole, and should be aware that it may be accessed from countries whose laws provide various levels of protection for personal data, not always equivalent to the level of protection that may be provide in your own country.
Last Updated: June 2013