Petroleum Engineering Certification
SPE's Petroleum Engineering Certification program provides you with the opportunity to obtain an international credential recognizing your petroleum engineering knowledge.
You can prepare for your certification exam with optional review courses. These review courses are offered online and onsite depending on your location.
When you’re ready to take the certification exam, follow the steps below.
Step 1. Apply online
- An undergraduate engineering degree in petroleum engineering or related science.
- At least 4 years of experience and training in engineering.
- Membership in good standing with the Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Download and sign the application agreement form (pdf). You will be asked to submit this form at the end of the application process.
Application fee is USD 150. Make sure you have your application agreement form signed.
Step 2. Take the exam
There are three ways to take the exam.
To maintain your SPE Certification, you must complete 16 hours of continued professional development and education each year, and pay your annual renewal fee of USD 40. This fee will be added to your membership renewal so you may pay them both at once.
- Engineers who have successfully completed the requirements and exam (pdf)
- Certified, licensed or chartered petroleum engineers (pdf)