SPE Submission Policies
We encourage open and objective discussion of technical and professional subjects in our publications. The following guidelines will help you whether you're writing a paper proposal, a manuscript or a book.
We require transfer of copyright for all our publications, including conference proceedings. This allows us to distribute publications throughout the world by print and electronic means, to create translations and reuse them in reprint collections.
Transfer of Copyright
- No paper can be presented at an SPE conference unless a signed copy transferring copyright is received by SPE before the manuscript due date.
- If you are employed and prepared this paper within the scope of your employment, the original copyright to the paper belongs to your employer.
- If you sign the form, we assume you are authorized to do so by your employer and that your employer has consented to the transfer of copyright, to the representation and warranty of publication rights, and to all other terms and conditions of the form.
- If such authorization and consent has not been given you, an authorized representative of your employer should sign this form in the space provided for the Author.
- Always use the form provided in the author kit for the conference as wording may vary for some jointly sponsored meetings.
- No modifications or substitutions will be accepted and we do not accept a license to distribute in place of full transfer of copyright.
Transfer of copyright does not affect the underlying intellectual property or concepts, which remain with the author or the employer. Authors and their employers retain certain rights for reuse of the material.
Copyright during Peer Review
- We require that authors provide a temporary transfer of copyright to facilitate the peer review process.
- If the paper is accepted for publication, a permanent transfer of copyright will be required.
- The author must agree not to submit the paper for review or publication elsewhere while under review by SPE.
- If the paper is not accepted for publication, full copyright will revert to the original owner, for papers that did not originate at an SPE conference.