Distinguished Lecturers are nominated by their peers, and selected by the Distinguished Lecturer Committee for quality, timeliness and relevance of presentations. We solicit nominations from each region of the world to cover all disciplines.
Distinguished Lecturers Nominations Articles
- Tour the World
- Personal Perspectives of Two Distinguished Lecturers: Experience Opportunity and Adventure
- Distinguished Lecturer Found Time for One of Life’s ‘Most Rewarding’ Experiences
Each lecturer chosen by the Distinguished Lecturer Committee is:
- an expert in his or her field
- an experienced and articulate public speaker who is comfortable speaking to different audiences in English
- willing to volunteer personal time to instruct and share knowledge with other SPE members
- willing to travel for an average of 20 presentations with tours lasting around four days or as long as two weeks
- an experienced traveler—tours can be rigorous due to flight schedules, routing and transportation between sections.
Note: The DL Committee does not accept self nominations.
- If possible, speak to the person you are nominating in advance so they can review the requirements of the program and be prepared to complete the nomination process.
- Give the nominee sufficient notice to have all requirements completed by the deadline of 31 March. Have the nominee’s first and last name and email address ready before nomination.
- Only one of the three submissions (nominee form and two recommendation letters) can be from the nominees company.
If you are nominated
You will receive an email informing you of the nomination with instructions for the online form. Complete all steps by March 31.
- Create a unique login. An account is established for each nominee.
- Complete the online nomination form and upload all of the following required items. Save your progress if you are unable to complete the form in one session.
- A PowerPoint presentation that can be given in 30 minutes:
- File types accepted: PowerPoint only, .ppt or .pptx
- Max. file size: 20 MB
- File name: 30 min preso-nominee last name.nominee first name (example: 30 min preso-Smith.Joe.ppt)
- Two separate letters of recommendation:
- Include specific nominee information such as professional activities, timeliness of topic and presentation skills
- Should be from individuals that know the nominee personally and include the phone number and e-mail address of the individual sending the letter
- Only one of the three submissions (nominee form and two recommendation letters) can be from the nominees company
- File types accepted: .doc, .docx, .txt, .ppt, .pptx, .jpeg, and .pdf
- Max. file size: 7 MB
- File name: Ltr of Rec- last name.first name of person providing letter (example: Ltr of Rec-Jones.John.doc)
- Required abstract/bio master form:
- Abstract must answer the question “What is the one idea you would like the members to take away from this lecture?”
- Biography and abstract must be on the same abstract/bio master form in 12-point font. See sample.
- Biography: no more than 100 words; abstract: no more than 250 words
- File types accepted: .doc or .docx
- File name: Abs-Bio-nominee last name.nominee first name (example: Abs-Bio-Smith.Joe.doc)
You have the option to save your progress at any time and come back at a later date to complete the form. Once submitted, the nomination form cannot be changed.
Deadline for submitting nomination
Deadline for nominee to submit all forms and requirements.
Distinguished Lecturer Committee selects potential lecturers
Potential lecturers receive a letter to present to the DL Committee
Verbal presentations are given by the potential lecturers to the DL Committee at the Presentation Review Meeting
Letter of invitation sent to all DLs that are accepted
September through May
Lecture program year
Awards Management provided by WizeHive.